Temporary working capital

‘Everyone gets wet’: Regional Victorians’ frustration over paying $ 500 in COVID disaster as others warn it’s too little to help

Many Victorians are frustrated with payment for coronavirus-related disasters and calls are being made to expand the program.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced a new program to offer affected workers up to $ 500 when closures at virus hot spots last for more than a week.

With restrictions easing in the Victoria area on Friday, only workers in Melbourne will be eligible, with the state capital entering an additional seven days of lockdown.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison at a press conference in Parliament. Credit: MICK TSIKAS/AAPIMAGE

Victorian Liberal MP Russell Broadbent, who represents the Monash regional headquarters, is calling on the government to expand the program.

Broadbent believes residents of the Victoria area will continue to lose income despite the lockdown, as Melbourne is still under restrictions.

“Everyone gets wet when it rains, not just those in the eye of the storm,” he told ABC Radio.

Chevron Right Icon

“Everyone gets wet when it rains. “

Meanwhile, the majority of applicants for the COVID Disaster Temporary Payment are expected to be young Victorians working in hospitality and retail.

“They should all be getting $ 750 a week. That’s the minimum rate of pay in the country right now, ”said Tim Kennedy of United Works Union.

“It basically means, ‘Can I eat? Can I buy the books I need to study? Do we turn on the heaters? ‘ Kennedy said.

How and when Victorians can apply

To be eligible, the worker must be at least 17 years old, reside in Australia or be authorized to work in Australia and live in a closed area for more than seven days.

They must have been in paid work before the foreclosure and are unable to earn income due to stay-at-home orders.

Residents can make a request on the Services Australia website from Tuesday.

“If you meet these criteria, you will get this support and you will receive this payment next week. There will also be a number they can contact and more information will be provided on that, ”Morrison said.

“It will go into your bank account as all of these payments usually are. “

To prepare to claim before Tuesday, Victorians can create a myGov and Centrelink online account.

Comment here

placeholder="Your Comment">